Take a walk in Wroclaw - Wrocław, hotels, restaurants, monuments, history, tourism, guide
The Church Under the Call of Saint Matthias

The Church Under the Call of Saint Matthias The Gothic Church under the call of saint Matthias was built around the year 1220 as a court chapel connected with Henry the Beared's manor. Around the half of the XIII century princess Ann, a widow after Henry the Pious, established a hospital under the call of saint Elizabeth on the terrain of the ducal manor, and in 1253 she has brought the Crusaders with the Red Star, giving to the monks also the church and the terrain, where at present stands the building of Ossolineum. The church prides itself with an exquisite baroque interior. A well-known Silesian mystic, theologian and poet Johannes Scheffler, better known as Angelus Silesius, is also buried here.




Separator
English Polski