The Sand Bridge

The Sand Bridge Despite the fact that the bridge was many times rebuilt, and it gained its final appearance in 60's of the XX century after the exchange of the XIX century riveted girders, it stands in a place, where the oldest bridge in Wroclaw was built. It was an element of the first Wroclaw's Oder crossing, making up the initial fragment of the route leading from the mediaeval city northwards. It is worth adding as a curiosity, that the Wroclaw's mile was measured from this bridge, the unit of distance used primarily in Wroclaw, but from 1630 on the whole Silesia. It equaled 10282 m - the distance from the Sand Gate to the Psie Pole (Dog's Field).

English Polski