The Odwach

The Odwach Wroclaw was a strongly fortificated city, at least to the moment, when French armies captured the city and when in 1807 on Napoleon Bonaparte's order the municipal walls started to being destroyed. Only small fragments were kept on back of the Odwach Market Hall, near the municipal moat on Dominican square, and the arsenal, The Odwach which was recognized as useful. There is practically no trace of the Swidnicka Gate today, the only thing that is left is the XVIII century Odwach building, formerly the base of the municipal guard. The Odwach was rebuilt around 1844 in the neorenaissance style, it was patterned after the architecture of the Renaissance Florence and it contains at present a gallery of art. In it's closest neighborhood there is a XIX century small tower with a barometer and a clock.

English Polski