View gallery: normal size full size | View map
The Town Hall

The Town Hall The late-gothic Wroclaw's town hall is one of the most beautiful and the best preserved in Poland. The works over it began in the years 50’ of the XIII century and it was finished in the XVI century. At the beginning it was a larger quantity of buildings and annexes, joint after some time. The old judicial room made in a Romanesque style is the oldest part of the town hall.

On the eastern elevation, on the side of the pillory, the sight is decorated with a beautifully adorned mediaeval astronomical quadrant, the bay window of the chapel and the former main entry to the town hall that deserves a special attention. The bas-relief on the portal represents three elements of its present crest (to see at the presently used entry on the western elevation). The Town Hall These are the symbols of the changes of the national membership of the city — the Silesian eagle can be seen on the portal next to the Czech lion of a double tail, while over them the head of saint John Baptist reigns, the patron of the Cathedral and the city. Many Citizens of Wroclaw tell a legend about this entry and the fat low wall on its both sides, which is really related to the previous building, the older town hall: they say that near its entry two lovers were walled up alive, who had broken the vows of purity because of love and were sentenced to this horrible death.

The Town Hall The southern elevation, the richest and the most frequently bringing astonishment among tourists, adorn three bay windows with an impressive late-gothic masonry. Rich townspeople paid fortunes so that their faces were on the sculptures adorning bay windows. It is worth to pay attention to the entry to the Swidnicka Cellar situated below. In the Middle Ages a beer pub of this name already existed in the undergrounds of town hall, and served an excellent beer imported from Swidnica, a city near Wrocław. The present restaurant in the cellars of the Town hall is the oldest restaurant in Europe. Its history makes an impression — the first kept bills for beer come from 1322! The cellar quickly began to produce its own beer of the name White ram, which pushed out the beer of Swidnica, supposedly worse then the one from Wroclaw. It was brew in the backyard of the tenement "Under the gold pitcher" situated opposite the entrance to the Swidnicka Cellar, The Town Hall The Town Hall and transported to the beer pub through an underground tunnel, so noises did not disturb the quiet of the venerable occupants of neighboring houses. This tunnel just makes up the answer on a famous Wroclaw's riddle: "where in Wroclaw can a cart drive by on a cart?". Probably as a warning on both sides of the entry to the pub a generic scene was put - on the left a husband with a pitcher, clearly squiffy, returns home zigzag, on the right meanwhile his waiting for him wife with a harsh face already prepares a slipper.

The western elevation preserved its strict, mediaeval character. On this side we can see the present entrance to the town hall and to the Municipal Museum, over which one can admire the new crest of Wroclaw. In the north-western corner adhering to the considerably later, neo-gothic part of Town Hall one can admire the 67 metres high tower, covered with a Renaissance helmet. There is the oldest clock bell in Poland dated on 1368.

English Polski