View gallery: normal size full size | View map
Centennial Hall

Centennial Hall As the only monument in Wroclaw, which is written on the UNESCO list of World Heritage, the Centennial Hall, called during the times of the communist Republic as the Folk Hall, is one of the most impressive attractions in the region. It was built in the years 1911–1913 according to the project of Max Berg for a huge amount of 1,9 million marks, and it owes it's uncommonness mostly to the reinforced cement copula, in the moment of creating the largest in the world if it comes to spread — 67 m of the diameter (20 m more than the Roman Pantheon). The hall has got 42 m of height, the maximum width of it's interior is 95 meters, and the accessible surface 14 thousand square meters. Except the huge central hall in the building 56 different exhibition rooms were planned and spacious surrounding the main hall lobbies. The hall could hold up to 10 thousands people. According to the plan the construction was finished on time to celebrate the hundredth anniversary of the battle near Leipzig (1813) with the Century Exhibition.

During the construction of the Centennial Hall numerous different exhibition objects were being made on the surrounding terrains, in this the Pavilion of Hala Stulecia Four Copulas and the Pergola, which has been decorated with an impressive, costing one million zlotys fountain for sound and light spectacles. In the Hall itself there were specially designed organs with about 222 registers and 16706 pipes, during then these were the largest in the world. Unfortunately they were damaged during the World War II. The part which is undamaged is used at present in Wroclaw's arch-see. Those organs are still the biggest in Poland. Together with the spire and the surrounding buildings, for example the movie factory, the Centennial Hall has become the symbol of Wroclaw.

English Polski